Top Crypto Projects 2021
For virtually everyone, Bitcoin is their introduction to the world of Crypto. But they soon discover that there are thousands of different Crypto projects one can learn about and invest in if so minded.
With the newcomer in mind, we offer this brief 1 or 2 line introduction to some of the leading Crypto projects. We hope that this will help you identify which projects you are interested in doing deeper research on. Please note that this list is very far from being comprehensive. Nor should inclusion or exclusion from the list be taken as a comment on the viability of the project. Also please be aware that there are various “stablecoins” that are linked to the US Dollar (USDT and USDC)
So in approximate order of financial size (market capitalization):
- Bitcoin (BTC): the King of Crypto and increasingly established as the Digital Money or Reserve currency and viewed by many as a store of value. Meant to address the problem of trust where conventional currencies do not exist in fixed quantities and therefore raise the possibility of “double spending”. It is supposed to solve this through being a decentralized ledger, a blockchain. See our more in-depth guide here.
- Ethereum (ETH): a major innovation in crypto was to see the need for “smart contracts”, i.e. programmable to execute automatically. With the emergence of ETH, it has become possible for projects to be built on the ETH blockchain as decentralized Apps (dAPPS). Indeed many of the projects you will see are built on Ethereum in this sense.
- Cardano (ADA): another blockchain, whose advocates believe it offers improvements in respect of scalability, sustainability, and governance.
- Polkadot (DOT): a protocol for communicating amongst different blockchains.
- Uniswap (UNI): an AMM (automated market maker), serving as an exchange for swapping various coins or tokens, but Decentralized (unlike CEXs Binance, Coinbase, etc.). The UNI token performs a governance function.
- Litecoin (LTC): wants to emulate Bitcoin, but be faster and cheaper (“lite”).
- Chainlink (LINK): the leading Oracle project –its function is to serve as the reliable (“trustless”) link between the smart contract space of crypto and the “real world”.
- Stellar (XLM): wants to be a crypto medium of exchange, a currency, but with fast transaction speeds and low fees.
- Dogecoin (DOGE): started as a joke but has attracted attention from some high-profile people recently. Amongst the many differences between it and something like Bitcoin, there is no fixed quantity of DOGE.
- THETA (THETA): a decentralized video network (i.e. streaming)
- Terra (LUNA): a payment network that wants to mix the benefits of cryptocurrencies with the stability and everyday availability of “fiat” currency.
- AAVE (AAVE): a platform for lending (crypto tokens), something like a decentralized bank with users earning fees from borrowers.
- VeChain (VET): a project that wants to bring the benefits of blockchains to Supply Chain Management.
- Tezos (XTZ): another blockchain for smart contracts whilst claiming various benefits over Ethereum, including the absence of “hard forks” which have occurred frequently in the crypto world.
- Filecoin (FIL): decentralized cloud storage, or “the cloud” but with the benefits of being on
- SushiSwap (SUSHI): another AMM and decentralized exchange like UNI.
- Synthetix (SNX): built on Ethereum blockchain for derivatives trading
- The Graph (GRT): wants to be the “Google of crypto”, a decentralized way of “searching” blockchains like Ethereum.
- Polygon (MATIC): a “Layer 2 scaling solution” for turning Ethereum into a multi-chain format (see Polkadot above) whilst keeping the widely perceived benefits of Ethereum.
- Bancor (BNT): another AMM and somewhat of a “dark horse contender” based on claims for a unique token-model, addressing the problem of “impermanent loss” and providing what is called “single-sided liquidity”.
Want to learn more? Be sure to check out our further guides. If you’re interested to know the best exchanges to purchase any of the listed Crypto projects, we at Complete Crypto have you covered.